The Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre collects information on fraud and identity theft. We provide information on past and current scams affecting Canadians. If you think you're a victim of fraud, report it!
Recent scams and fraud
Have you received a call from 1-888-495-8501?
This is the toll free number for the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre and it's being spoofed. No representative from our office is trying to reach you. Fraudsters are masking their phone number with ours.
When you miss a call and the caller doesn't leave a message, don't return the call. If it's important, they'll call you back. If it's a long distance number, you could be charged long distance fees.
Services and information
Alphabetical list of scams
Browse scams by delivery method
Find out what scams target individuals
Find out what scams target businesses
Protect yourself from scams and fraud
Report a scam or fraud
As of January 31, 2020
- Canadian reports of fraud:
(46,317 in 2019)
- Canadian victims of fraud:
(19,285 in 2019)
- Lost to fraud:
($98M in 2019)
In the news
- 32 arrested at Indian call centre that targeted Canadians
- Charges laid by RCMP in relation to international malware virus scheme
- Organizer Of Complex Nigerian Fraud And Money Laundering Ring Sentenced
- Buyer Beware: How to protect yourself from fraud
- Tainted Transactions: Scot Johnson's clients claim he owes thousands
- Government websites: spot the legitimate among the fakes
- Date modified: